Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A Time for Giving

It's a stressful time of year - a time where we all are trying to fight through crowds at shopping malls and stay within a budget because there are SO many people we need to buy gifts for. Kids, friends, parents, siblings - it adds up quickly! Well, we've being doing something a little different in our families for the last few years. Instead if trying to find the perfect $25 gift for every sibling and sibling-in-law, we have 2 traditions that are less stressful and make us feel a little better about where our money goes:

  1. In Katy's family, each sibling is "assigned" a type of stocking stuffer. Each sibling also finds a charity to donate money to - no specific amount, but we try to go with the cost of one very nice gift.
  2. In my family, we draw names and then give that person a gag gift that costs less than $20. It turns out to be a lot of fun, and we also have money available to donate to a charity as well.

So this helps us stay inside a smaller budget, and we feel like we've done something meaningful. I mean, do we as adults really want to receive a slew of inexpensive gifts just to get SOMETHING, or would we rather enjoy our time together and do something worth while?

This year, I think we've found something a little different to donate to - and I blame ESPN. Why? Because ESPN has been celebrating the life of Jim Valvano, or Jimmy V, the former coach of the NC State Wolfpack. He first became famous for pulling off a huge upset to win the national title in 1983, then later because of his well-known battle with cancer. This battle led to the development of the Jimmy V Foundation, an organization that raises money for cancer research.

Because of ESPN running Jim Valvano's speech at the 1993 ESPY Awards, I realized what a great man he was - that's when I decided that I want to give to this charity. I haven't exactly asked Katy if this is where we want to go yet, but the following video might help. To show you exactly why I'm so inspired, please watch his speech below as he receives the Arthur Ashe Courage Award:




Now, once upon a time, back in 1992, someone came up to me at the music store I was working at and told me I resembled Jimmy V. Hey, at the age of 23, I was a little offended to be compared to a guy dying of cancer. Today, if someone told me the same thing, I'd hope that someday I could resemble the charisma and inspiration tha Jimmy V possessed.

1 comment:

Bill Purdy said...

Twenty-five years later, these 45 seconds STILL define "college basketball" to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQ6JZpjdTY

Jimmy V was an incredible man who fought an unstoppable foe with dignity and grace. Thanks for posting that speech, Pat. It was an inspiration.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pat Angello - sorry!