Tuesday, November 27, 2007

11

That's my favorite number. I don't know why really. I mean, I never had it as a number playing sports when I was growing up, and never really "used" it until recently. I guess I think I'm funny when people say, "I have a question for you..." and my answer is immediately, "11" before they actually ask the question. It makes no sense, and I'm a nerd - whatever.

However, today the number 11 means something. In fact, 11 years ago today - 11/28/96 - I had a date. A first date, actually.

It was Thanksgiving day and I had dinner at my sister's house. After dinner, I went to pick up a girl I knew a long time ago. We ran into each other at an Avs game and exchanged phone numbers. After hitting it off on the phone, we decided to go to a movie on Thanksgiving after dinner. So, after my pumpkin pie, I headed to pick her up and take her on our first date.


When I arrived at her mom's house, I was greeted by an adorable 7-year-old girl who asked me, "Are you Patrick or Jell-o?" You see, my last name is pronounced an-jell-o, so her cute little joke was a play on Patrick AND Jell-o. She worked on that joke all day. I was then introduced to my date's "brother and sister" who were Kenyans and black as coal. I was a little thrown, but stood my ground when asked by the man for the number of cows I had to offer for my date. If I was thinking, I would have answered 11! I think I said 3, but that was before I really knew who I was dating.

We went to see Sleepers with Kevin Bacon. Not exactly a great movie for a date, but we had a good time. That theater is now a Marshall's. My date told me how she invented the game "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" a long time ago, but actually called it Nicholas Cage. I did the popcorn trick. Um, no - the OTHER popcorn trick. I hold a piece of popcorn just under one nostril, inhale through my nose and let go. It stays put until I stop inhaling, then I stick out my tongue, catch and consume. I know, what a catch I am!

When I brought my date back to her mom's house, we kissed on the driveway. OK, she essentially molested me on her mom's driveway. Anyway, we saw each other the next night.

And the next.

And the next.

And the next.

Soon I was driving downtown every night, staying at her apartment until 2-3 AM, then heading home to get to work at 7 AM. Sleep? Who needs that when you are in love?

We moved in together in February, were engaged by June, and married the following May.

So today, on our 11-year anniversary of our first date, I have something to say:

Katy, I love you more than anything ever. Words cannot express how lucky I feel to have found such a wonderful person to spend the rest of my life with. Thank you for all of the fun we have and for just being everything I always wanted in a soulmate.

I love you more than soup!

Patrick

3 comments:

Squatchyk said...

Oh how cute! Happy 11 year anniversary of your first date. By the way Pat you are a punk. I went to Freak Train hoping to see you and you weren't there. :P

Heather said...

Happy First-Date Anniversary!!!

Derek Knight said...

aww. That almost made me tear up.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pat Angello - sorry!