Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Some New TV Stuff

OK, so KT and I have given a few new shows a shot – some good, some not so good. Here are a few quick recaps:

Jericho – CBS Wednesdays

Stars: Skeet Ulrich, Gerald McRaney (W00T – Major Dad!), Ashley Scott, Pamela Reed

Premise: After the US is attacked with nukes, Jericho is the only place standing, as far as they know.

My Personal Opinion: This show has potential. The writing was a little hokey and predictable. There are some typical situations (dad and son have falling out, then son becomes a hero and ALMOST gets dad’s respect back, blah, blah, blah), but the show will hopefully pick up a little now that the pilot has set it all up.

Score: ~O~O~O (It’s worth another shot or two.)

The Class – CBS Mondays

Stars: A bunch of nobodies and Jason Ritter

Premise: Some guy throws a surprise party for his fiancé by inviting a bunch of people from their 3rd grade class (when they originally met). She freaks out and dumps him in front of everyone, but people who haven’t seen each other in many years begin to connect again.

My Personal Opinion: Ugh. OK, so I laughed at a few things, but I’m not sure I can get past the overacting. The whole show seems forced. There’s over-the-top that can be funny, but this just seems in-your-face because they can’t figure out any other way to deliver the message.

Score: ~O~o (I’ll try it a few more times, but I won’t plan my DVR around it if something better is on.)

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip – NBC Mondays

Stars: Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, Bradley Whitford, D.L. Hughley, Steven Weber

Premise: A failing SNL-type show finds itself with a new network VP and writing/directing team after an on-camera melt-down by the current director. However, the new dynamic duo used to be involved in the show and still have relationships (good and bad) with current cast members.

My Personal Opinion: This will never last, because I really liked it! The writing is sharp, the dialog is fast-paced and quirky, and the characters are developing well. In other words, it’s bound to get canceled. Let’s face it – America is too stupid to appreciate a show like this, hence the cancellation of Book of Daniel and Arrested Development.

Score: ~O~O~O~O~o (Yep, after one episode I’m thinking this show is close to perfect.)

Standoff – FOX Tuesdays

Stars: Ron Livingston (Office Space), Rosemarie DeWitt

Premise: Negotiators find themselves in crazy predicaments, and accidentally dating each other.

My Personal Opinion: The sexual tension is actually kind of fun, and the show isn’t your typical formula show like I expected. Each show has tense, how-will-they-get-out-of-this moments and has been pretty entertaining.

Score: ~O~O~O~o (It’s a must-see so far!)

Still looking forward to Tina Fey’s 30 Rock – it premiers 10/11/06. Have you seen anything new and want to tell me about it? Well then leave a freakin’ comment!

2 comments:

Princess Katy said...

So far the only new show that is really wowing me is Studio 60, but I will give the rest a chance! As for Grey's Anatomy, I hate that I love this show so much, and I hate that I am apparently so predictable that they know just how to get me!!! Oh that Dr. McDreamy!! Sigh!!

Heather said...

I'd really like to see the new Matthew Perry show - he was my favorite Friend and I think he's hilarious. The Class was written by the writers of Friends, right? There's probably a butt-load of pressure on them to make another hit! Those kinds of shows never last!

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pat Angello - sorry!