Monday, July 24, 2006

Lady in the Water


Stick in the Mud?

OK, so my wife won’t agree with me here, and I’m sure she’ll leave a comment, but I really didn’t care for this latest M. Night Shyamalan film.

I’m not really going to go into the good/bad things about the other Shyamalan films, but you expect certain things from him. You expect characters that you WANT to follow and root for; you expect SOME interesting dialogue; you expect a big, I-never-saw-that-coming twist at the end of the film; you expect clues throughout the film that help you figure out the mystery ending. Well, the lady only delivered on one of the four expectations I wanted.

I simply couldn’t get into the film and the characters. I love Paul Giamatti, but I felt like his talents were wasted here on lame dialogue that was sometimes laughable to me. I didn’t really care about the lady, just wanted her to go away or do something interesting.

Granted, there were a few comedic moments, and some clues that helped you figure out what was coming, but there was no big surprising ending, and the thing just kind of ended. The dark fairy tale eventually got it’s happy ending, and I couldn’t have cared less. The performances were weak, the characters were uninteresting, and M. Night disappointed me with a mediocre film.

2 out of 5.

2 comments:

Bill Purdy said...

"You expect characters that you WANT to follow and root for; you expect SOME interesting dialogue; you expect a big, I-never-saw-that-coming twist at the end of the film; you expect clues throughout the film that help you figure out the mystery ending."

Night's a talented filmmaker, and I wouldn't have a problem with a Shyamalan film that didn't deliver on these expectations -- provided it's a good movie. And, by all accounts (yours is the first review I've read, but for some reason I've read at least four long articles about how hard it was to get the film made in the first place), this one's a stinker. And, no, I have not seen the movie.

But if the guy wanted to remake The Three Musketeers, or adapt an Orson Scott Card novel ("Treason"? "Ender's Game?" Anyone?), or even do an Audrey Hepburn biopic, he'd get my $8 and a bucket of popcorn (that is, if I actually went to a theater again -- it's been more than two years since I set foot in one). He's got that much talent.

Princess Katy said...

Okay, the one thing that I think you can say for M. Night is that whatever you think is coming, you're wrong. I think he suceeded here. He is very good at misleading, especially in the trailer. This movie was not what I expected, but I liked it anyway. I was not scary or even creepy, but rather sweet and in my opinion, thought provoking. With so many movies about all the very real horrors in the world, this one takes you to fantasy place where people act the way I wish people would act in the real world. I really liked it and it gave me a bit of hope for the future of humanity, and honestly, I think that's exactly what M. Night was going for.
I give it a 3.5 out 5

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pat Angello - sorry!