Thursday, June 22, 2006

Wild Weekend Part 3 – Hippie Fest ’06


This is a picture from the Telluride Bluegrass Festival. How can you NOT enjoy yourself at a concert like this? Look at the freakin’ scenery! Hell, Ashlee Simpson could be lip-synching David Hasselhoff tunes and it would still be great

The best thing about an all-day (technically 4-days, but we only went for Sunday) outdoor concert is the people watching. There were tons of hippies bathing in the stream and running around wearing next to nothing. Um, sometimes less clothing is BAD! For instance, there should be an age limit on navel rings. I don’t care how skinny you are, if you have reading glasses on a chain, you should not have a navel ring – there’s no need to draw more attention to your leathery tummy. Also, your string thong sticking out from your skirt was deeply disturbing to me. And while I’m talking about skirts, men should not wear sarongs. Kilts are fine; sarongs are just, well, wrong!

But the hippies made the atmosphere very nice and pleasant. There were no fights and only one person leaving on a stretcher from heat exhaustion. Hippies may be the bums of the hills, but at least they are professional concert goers.

My VP of Marketing for my company was there as well. She is awesome, and she kept visiting the little section of land we claimed for the day to see how we were enjoying ourselves. I was a little surprised to see so many young kids there. There wasn’t much for them to do, and 14 hours is a LONG time!

The vendors were really cool. Many food vendors were organic, and there is a new bottled water company in Ouray Colorado called Biota. Their claim to fame is bottles made from CORN! Yep, simply stick the bottle under steam when you are done and watch it dissolve away. Freakin’ SWEET! There were even huge bins for recycling and compost.

The merchandise vendors were really cool too! Although I don’t carry a purse, I just might start after seeing this company that made classic rock albums into purses. One side was the cover riveted to a thin wooden board, and the other was the actual vinyl record on another board. Really coo! But my favorite was this guy:













If I had a few grand lying around and a big house, I’d totally decorate it with some of his sculptures! These things are flippin’ cool, and he’s located in Salida Colorado!

How about the music? Well, most of it was fantastic! Here’s a look at the line up:

10:00 - 11:00 - Edgar Meyer & Mike Marshall

11:15 - 12:15pm - Linda Tillery & the Cultural Heritage Choir

12:30 - 1:45 - Peter Rowan & Tony Rice Quartet

2:00 - 3:15 - Del McCoury Band

3:45 - 5:00 - Tim O'Brien Band

5:30 - 6:45 - Nickel Creek

7:15 - 8:30 - John Prine

9:00 - 11:00 - Barenaked Ladies

Edgar Meyer and Mike Marshall play bass and mandolin respectively. Both put on a pretty cool show. The talent of some of these people really blew me away.

Edgar Meyer video:

Mike Marshall video:

Linda Tillery & the Cultural Heritage Choir were fantastic! My VP was raving about them before they even hit the stage, and she was right. They did some really fun upbeat African music. I think they drew the 4 black people that attended the event!

Sorry, no Linda Tillery video!

Peter Rowan & Tony Rice Quartet was OK. Nothing really stuck out in my mind, or I was chasing my nephews around at that time.

Peter Rowan & Tony Rice Quartet Video:

Del McCoury Band was great, classic bluegrass. I really enjoyed them, but we walked into town for a while when they were on stage.

Del McCoury Band Video:

Tim O’Brien Band was similar to Del McCoury – still some fun stuff.

Tim O'Brien Band Video:

Nickel Creek stole the freakin’ show! This band was simply awesome, giving a modern twist on classic bluegrass. The highlight of the day (for me at least) came when they covered Britney Spears’ Toxic! In case you don’t know it, here’s Britney’s version:

And here’s Nickel Creek’s version:

John Prine literally put me to sleep! And to think, many people left after he was done and missed the Barenaked Ladies!

John Prine Video (in case you're having trouble sleeping):

When I heard that the Barenaked Ladies were performing, I was wondering how they fit into this group of artists. Actually, they fit themselves in perfectly. They did an acoustic set and barely touched a drum kit. They also made up songs off the top of their heads about Telluride and the vendors, etc. They simply mesmerized me with their sheer creativity and talent. I found a whole new respect for these guys, even though I was kind of a fan before seeing them live. If you ever get a chance, and I know they are touring soon to promote a new album coming in the fall, you really need to go. Simply magnificent showmen!

Barenaked Ladies Bluegrass One Week Video:

Well, that’s about it for my Telluride Hippie Fest experience. KT and I did stop in South Park (yes, THE South Park Colorado, like where Kenny and Cartman live) on the way home. We’ve always talked about doing that and never had time. Well, we made time on this trip and it was pretty cool. There’s a fun little tour you can take that gives you a history of the town and many of the buildings you can visit are still in tact from the late 1800’s. However, no children cursed at us and we couldn’t find Tom’s Rhinoplasty.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Bill Purdy said...

Something seems ill-advised about packaging water in a bottle that dissolves. Maybe that's just me.

Pat Angello said...

I put 8 videos on one post and you whine about a biodegradable bottle of water? Sheesh!

DrFrankLives said...

Thanks for the BNL video. Best band I've ever seen live. Welcome to the cult. ;-)

PammyJean said...

Yay! More BNL converts!!!! Glad to see you enjoyed the day -- we were glad you were there. What a great way to spend a GORGEOUS Colorado day -- with a buncha good friends, some beer, and some pirate M&Ms.

Good times, good times.....

Heather said...

I love Nickel Creek - I'm jealouus that you saw them. Their take on Toxic is adorable!!

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

8 videos on one post, I feel like I went to a concert.

Sooo...when are you posting the hippie chick iamges. How many naked hippie chick ones do you have? Yes I know I have no life. But hey, you put a concert on your post, so I at least saw a concert this week end

Squatchyk said...

I thought Nickel Creek rocked. I also loved the Bare Naked Ladies! I wish we would have known I would have loved to go. Thanks for all the videos. I should have read your blog last night when I was having trouble sleeping. :)

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pat Angello - sorry!