Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Wild Weekend Part 1 – The New Boss ROCKS!


Um, literally!

So on Friday night, my lovely wife Katy and I went to dinner at Thai Basil with one of my new coworkers and his wife, Usman and Maaria. They are very interesting and a lot of fun. Katy and I enjoyed Panang chicken and shrimp respectively,* and I have no idea what freaky thing Usman and Maaria ate. It looked good though! Just so you know, I’m really starting to dig my new coworkers – everyone is really nice and laid-back. I think I could find some great new friends here!

After dinner we headed into Rastle Cock Castle Rock to a new café called Java Guru. This little coffee house has a lot of live music! My boss, Mark, is a guitarist/singer and he invited the entire office to come and check him out as he performed there.** Unfortunately, nobody else from the office attended and they really missed out – he was excellent!

We arrived a little late and caught the end of the first set. Mark was on stage with his neighbor who plays bass. We were fortunate enough to meet Mark’s wife Pam and his mother Patty, as well as some of his neighbors, during the intermission. The café was a great, small setting with a stage in the corner just big enough for a few people to fit on. Before Mark got busy on the second set, we grabbed some drinks. I had some kind of caramel macchiato thingie and KT had a low-carb chai tea.***

Mark started the second set alone, breaking into a few originals as well as some covers. He banged out some Dave Matthews, Collective Soul, Van Morrison, U2, and other well-known artists and he really sounded great. My wife won’t exactly agree with me here, but Mark’s voice reminded me a lot of Ed Kowalczyk from Live. Ironically, even though he’s a Buddhist, Mark hasn’t listened to much Live, so Katy and I are planning on burning a CD for him this week.**** After all, Ed is a big U2 fan as well! Either way, I have to say I was very impressed with Mark’s ability on the guitar and vocally. I have a ton of respect for anyone who can sing and play at the same time. Like this guy and possibly even this guy. Oh, and even this guy!

So, we really enjoyed the second set, but we needed to head home. We had plans to attend the Telluride Bluegrass Festival on Sunday and were going to drive up early Saturday. Our plan was to get up around 5:30 and hit the road as soon as we could.***** We were going on a hike in Rico at noon with some friends, and that was about a 6-hour drive.

Tune in for Part 2 tomorrow to find out why we fell just a little behind schedule!

*There could be some meaning behind what we ate in tomorrow’s episode.

**Hey, I just might be performing on Monday at Freak Train!

***Or maybe it was something we drank?

****Speaking of burning CDs, Billy P and Tom The Train have EARNED a copy of the new PAFC In Yo Face CD. How? Why, they bought a stupid PAFC product from www.cafepress.com/pafc or www/cafepress.com/pafc2! You can earn one too if you buy a stupid product before the end of June. Yep, even a simple sticker gets you a free copy!

*****We were up well before 5:30, but weren’t exactly on our way to Rico not-so-Suave.

2 comments:

Collin said...

I'm guessing the shrimp did evil shimpy things to you. Or did the chicken do evil shrimpy things to Katy? I guess I'll just have to tune in tomorrow to find out.

It's cool that your boss is fun to be around. Our top boss is a bit on the overwhelming side. A shame none of your coworkers joined you though.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some trippy shrimpy!!

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pat Angello - sorry!