Wednesday, March 15, 2006

KT Meets Her Juke Box Hero!


We all have our own personal rock gods that we would do just about anything to meet. You know - that one musician or singer that can do no wrong and that you have a personal bond with right through your speakers. I, for instance, think Dave Mustaine from Megadeth is the greatest guitarist (as far as original rhythm writing is concerned) since, well, ever. I know he’s extremely conceited so I’m not sure I’d ever want to meet him, but that’s another story.

With just a little bit of word-of-mouth through a local radio station, KT heard that Ed Kowalczyk, the lead singer and songwriter from the band Live, would be playing a free solo show at a pub downtown last weekend after the St. Patrick’s Day parade. She called the pub and they told her that they were going to open at 6:30AM to accommodate the crowd.

My dedicated wife woke up at 5, drove to the light rail station to head downtown. The train was waiting as KT desperately tried to get her crumpled dollars in the machine for a ticket. It wouldn’t take them. She knew the next train was 30 minutes away, so she illegally jumped on the train without a ticket. Now THAT’S dedication!

KT found the pub and saw, well, nobody really. She was the only one there, other than a few Brits in kilts. The boys were still drunk from the night before and they went to the pub to take in a rugby match. It at least made for interesting banter while she waited for Ed to take the stage in about 5 hours.

A few hours later, KT found herself outside checking out the stage. She was wondering where all the fans were, so she turned around. There, in jeans, a hooded sweatshirt, and a knit cap was Ed – three feet away. KT said, in her typical calm demeanor, “Hey! How’s it goin’?” They got to talk for a little while. Ed explained that this was exactly how he wanted things – small crowd, intimate venue, etc. He was very nice and down to earth. Then again, he is a Buddhist.

Ed hit the stage at 11:30 and ripped through 5 songs with an acoustic guitar. He played the new single, The River, as well as Heaven, Mystery (also from the new CD coming out soon), I Alone, and Lightning Crashes, a few tunes you may remember. KT danced and sang along, and seemed to be the only one into it. This made Ed perform mostly directly at KT. How cool is that?

After the mini-show, Ed enthusiastically shook KT’s hand and told her this was exactly how he likes to play venues. In fact, he was going to go on a small tour around the country playing small gigs like this just for fun.

KT was on cloud 9 when she got home – this was probably the most perfect show she had ever attended. I was very happy for her, and a bit jealous. Not because she met a famous man who is on her list, probably at the top, but because I knew how much this meant to her and what an incredible, once-in-a-lifetime event it was for her.

The best day ever for my princess!

7 comments:

Heather said...

That's so awesome! I'm very happy for her. And what a great picture.

Princess Katy said...

Maybe LIVE isn't the coolest most popular band ever, but to me they are. I have loved them and especially Ed Kowalczyk for more than 15 years. Saturday was definately in my top 3 of best days!

Pat Angello said...

That is a good picture. I think Ed has his hand on my wife's ass.

Bill Purdy said...

KT, you look terrific! I hope you told Ed he was wearing a really lovely toque.

Sus said...

I think I've mentioned this to Katy but the first time I ever saw Live they ended up doing an acoustic set as one of the guitarist was sick. Despite this "handicap" they kicked ass!

So jealous of her! :)

Collin said...

Fantastic!

I feel that way about David Byrne, but, like you and Dave Mustaine, I've heard that he's a bit of a dick so I doubt I would actually want to meet him either.

And Ed's hand is TOTALLY on KT's butt.

Bill Purdy said...

I think I saw the same show Sus did, at the... Bluebird, maybe? One of those venues on Colfax. And Live was opening for Weezer -- or was it the other way around? I don't remember much from those days.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pat Angello - sorry!