Thursday, December 29, 2005

2005 Coming to an End


OK, it’s that time of year again – time for the Top 11 of 2005 list. Before I get into it, let me just say that this list will include events that happened in 2005 that were memorable to me – good, bad, indifferent. I am not going to include family things per se because my wife already knows she means everything to me, I am eternally grateful for the health of my family members, and I have wonderful friends. So, that said, let’s get to listin’!

Top 11, um, THINGS of 2005:

11) We joined LA Weight Loss. My wife and I got tired of feeling, well, tired. We felt like fat slugs and had a lot of trouble eating "right" and getting exercise. So, we paid someone to tell us how to eat. And it’s working. I’m about half-way to my goal weight, and about half-way through my scheduled program. Oh, there will be before and after pics – don’t you worry!

10) I met Bill Simmons. Yes, THE Bill Simmons. The man whose ESPN Page 2 column I found in the john at work and I suddenly decided I needed to start writing again. Granted I wasn’t that stoked about buying his book on the Red Sox, but it still had influenced me to write a book about the Broncos. So, if you hate this blog and everything else I blog about, blame him.

9) We sold our house. After 9 months and 2 agents, the dump finally went. I was a little sad as it was our first house together, but we needed to downsize to payoff some debt. Now, hopefully, we will be able to get a much nicer place in about a year or two.

8) Michelle left me. Sometimes, you really hit it off with someone. Michelle came through the staffing agency to replace Christy at work, and we had a ball every day. It was like we had always known each other and we got along really well. We actually carpooled for a while, which was a bit scary when she was behind the wheel. Did you know Honda Accords don’t have "Oh SHIT" bars? But I really miss our lunches and little inside jokes we had for all of our coworkers. Michelle not only left the company, but she left the state – bolting for a much better gig in AZ. Fortunately, she is in town this weekend so Katy and I will get to see her at her boyfriend’s New Year’s Eve bash. Work just hasn’t been the same since.

7) Blogging buddies. I just think it’s really cool how the whole blogging community works. I mean, I feel like I’ve become FRIENDS with people I’ve never met! I have links to blogs from all over the world here, and I visit them daily. I’ve even engaged in email/comments conversations with most of them. It’s absolutely fascinating. Also, I get to meet Heather, Collin and Derek IN PERSON in a few weeks when we head to Colorado Springs. Sweet!

6) Matson Jones was born. I know I have a tendency to get goofy about music, but I simply have never, EVER, heard a band as cool as Matson Jones. The quartet is from Fort Collins Colorado and will be huge very quickly. A new CD is due in January and, if their concert in October is any indication, the new material is even better than the original. I can’t wait for the new disc!

5) Matchboxes and Hot Wheels for Christmas. Still, what my brother did last week was simply amazing. Best gift ever? Possibly!

4) Hockey returns! Sure the Avalanche aren’t quite the Avalanche of old, but it is SO good to watch professional hockey again. The new rules make the game so much better to watch and no lead is safe. I missed it greatly.

3) We almost lost Uwe. My wife and I gave our dog, Uwe, a "distraction treat" on Valentine’s Day. We needed a little privacy. Anyway, we woke up the next morning to 8 pools of bloody vomit on our off-white carpet and a scared to death pooch. We called the emergency vet and brought the dog in after we watched her throw up blood about 5 more times outside. The vet determined that her white blood cell count was really low and was afraid she might get a clot. If that happened, we would not be able to get her back to the hospital in time to save her life. It seem that she didn’t properly chew her treat and it was basically ripping up her insides. She stayed in the ICU over night on antibiotics, painkillers, and an IV. Fortunately, she was back to (somewhat) normal in a few days. She had parts of 3 of her legs shaved for IV’s and the bill equaled about a grand, so we called it her $1000 hair cut. She’ll be 8 in January. FYI, keep away from Dentley’s granulated dog treats.

2) We got to visit Bill, Beth and Logan in NC. Katy and I took a long weekend in September to go to Raleigh and visit my best friend Bill and his family. It was fantastic, though way too short. Bill and Beth are absolutely wonderful, their baby Logan is precious, and Raleigh is very nice. We had a great time and wish we could see more of them!

1) The death of Smitty. I hate to end this on a sad note, but I don’t think anything influenced my life this year as much as the passing of Mark Smith. Mark was married to our good friend Renee and he died very suddenly of a heart defect. It happened just 4 days before Mark would be 36, and only 6 months after he married Renee. If more people were like Smitty, this world would be a much better place. He was always there for anyone and was just someone everybody loved. In fact, my (continuing) resolution for the New Year is to try to be more like Mark – a better person all around. If I end up with half the amount of people at my funeral as Mark had at his, I’ll feel like I succeeded.

UPDATE: Ironically, I received the following email the morning after I posted this list:

From: webbers.1@netzero.net
Show/Hide all the To recipientsTo: patangello@aol.com
Subject: smitty tribute
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:28:35 GMT

Pat,

I've read this atleast 100 times since you wrote it and it still brings me to my knees. What a wonderful tribute to my brother! I had the day off and was sitting at my desk reading old emails and decided I needed to finally write and thank you for your kind words. Make sure you're still giving those crusher hugs to your wife and everyone you love!

Thanks again for helping in our healing process and taking such good care of Renee.

All our love,

Susan Webber and the whole "Smitty Family."

It simply destroyed me...

Happy and safe New Year everyone!

4 comments:

Bill Purdy said...

Awww...

I miss you too, Patrick. Something awful.

Happy New Year, anyway! Let's hope 2006 is just as memorable as 2005 (with fewer traumatic experiences for ourselves, our families, and our friends).

Derek Knight said...

Yes, January 7th is coming up fast!

Pat Angello said...

Um, the 21st actually, but whatever.

Triman said...

happy new year
go leafs go!

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pat Angello - sorry!