Monday, September 26, 2005

Weakened TV?


I know most of you are out on Friday and Saturday night, but there are a few things worth setting the DVR for on the weekend. Oh, and Sunday has a few standards for us as well!

Friday

7:00-8:00: It’s all about WWE Friday Night SmackDown! OK, just kidding! I also refuse to give ANY WB sitcoms a chance. The only decent one they ever had was Grounded For Life, which they signed after FOX dropped it. Stinkin’ FOX! So during this hour you can watch 2 crappy (or should that be “too crappy?”) sitcoms on the WB (What I Like About You and Twins), wrestling, stupid reality show Super Nanny, or Dateline NBC. Wait, there’s also The Bernie Mac Show and Malcolm in the Middle on FOX. Not horrible. Has anyone tried the Ghost Whisperer on CBS yet? Jennifer Love Hewitt is such a bad actress she couldn’t call in sick to work, so I think I’ll probably pass.

8:00-9:00: I really want to see Threshold on CBS, but I keep forgetting to record it. I know Susan has seen it and likes it, but I cannot give an opinion yet. I do get a kick out of Peter Dinklage, and I highly recommend the Station Agent on DVD! You can also waste this hour watching horrendous sitcoms on the WB (Reba and Living with Fran) or on ABC (Hope and Faith and Hot Properties [premiers next week]). In case Super Nanny didn’t fulfill your need for reality TV hell, try Three Wishes on NBC! Also, there is a show called Killer Instinct on FOX, which I have not seen or heard anything about. So, if I were you, I’d go with Threshold simply because Dinklage is the best dwarf actor around. Seriously! And the IFC shows (Hopeless Pictures, Greg the Bunny and The Festival are still pretty solid – especially the Pulp Fiction episode of G the B!) are worth a look if nothing here excites you.

9:00-10:00: We really enjoyed NUMB3RS last season. The show didn’t get as predictable as I expected it to, and Peter MacNicol is one of my favorites (although his role is a bit limited). As soon as you get used to Rob Marrow (Northern Exposure) playing an FBI agent, you’ll start enjoying the show. 20/20 is also on during this timeslot, as well as a new drama called Inconceivable (“you keep saying that word…I don’t think it means what you think it means!”), a show is about couples trying to have kids. Not sure how you can create an entire series about this subject, but I haven’t watched yet so I’ll hold back on my judgment.

Saturday

Nothing but repeats, sports and bad movies on during Saturday prime time. You can catch up on a few series this night, which is good if you have nothing to do, or watch Cops and America’s Most Wanted on FOX like the rest of white-trash America.

Sunday

7:00-8:00: This isn’t a bad hour of TV, but there’s nothing here that I feel like I absolutely can’t miss! Charmed is on the WB (I’ve only seen it a few times and I don’t hate it), Cold Case on CBS (again, watched it once or twice and it was OK), Extreme Makeover Home Edition on ABC (you know how much I love reality TV! Um, I don’t!), The West Wing on NBC (I have no interest whatsoever in this show), The Simpson’s and The War at Home on FOX (Simpson’s should hang it up about now, and War at Home just kinda blows). I’d really rather watch the beginning of whatever NFL game is on ESPN.

8:00-9:00: Desperate Housewives wins. I record Family Guy (because it always kills me – always!) and Extras (new Ricky Gervais show on HBO – see review below) at this time and watch them later, but the Housewives are what it’s all about. American Dad is just not that fun, and Blue Collar TV is absolutely pathetic. Those guys are good at stand-up, but the sketch comedy is just plain bad! You can also catch Law and Order or a bad movie on CBS.

Extras, HBO at 8:30

The new sitcom from Ricky Gervais, the mastermind behind the BBC version of the Office, is perfect! Gervais plays Andy Millman, an extra trying desperately to be an actor with the “help” of his spaced out agent. He hangs with the other extras in folding chairs and is star struck when he actually gets to interact with the big-time actor starring in the film. The reason this show will work and have some staying power is because Gervais is just as pathetic as he was on the Office. He is so painful to watch and listen to sometimes that you just want to grab him and scream, “Stop talking!” I love that uncomfortable feeling, and Gervais is fantastic at taking everything 3 steps beyond everyone’s comfort zone. Though Extras is not a fake documentary (like the Office), you still feel a real connection with Andy. However, the best part of this show has to be the guest celebrities! Sure there’s only been one episode (if you look, I’m sure HBO will be repeating this episode throughout the week), but Gervais can really get his guests to pull out all the stops. Kate Winslet was in the first episode – she played herself playing a nun in a movie about the Holocaust. Why? “Because movies about the Holocaust equal Oscar!” She also gives romance advice to an extra whose boyfriend likes to talk dirty on the phone. What a great and altruistic performance by Winslet as she destroys any thoughts people may have of her and sacrifices it all for the sake of comedy! Do NOT miss this show, especially if you were a fan of the Office!

4.5 out of 5!

9:00-10:00: We somehow got hooked on Grey’s Anatomy last year – still a pretty solid show. Crossing Jordan isn’t bad either. I have heard nothing but great things about Veronica Mars but I have yet to see it. We will probably use this time to get caught up on Family Guy and Extras if we are not watching Grey’s Anatomy.

So, what are YOU watching???

4 comments:

Bill Purdy said...

Ya know, on a whim I bought Season One of Lost on DVD two weeks ago (I watched not even a single minute when it originally aired -- just couldn't be bothered), and now I can say I have seen all 24 episodes. I'm freakin' hooked.

Still haven't seen Ep One of Season 2 (probably get to that tonight), so don't any of you DARE spoil it for me, k?

That's basically all I've been watching.

Oh, that and Weeds, Rome, Greg the Bunny, Robot Chicken, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, My Name Is Earl, Invasion, Bones, Reunion, Everybody Hates Chris, Kitchen Confidential, and Arrested Development. Curb Your Enthusiasm and Extras are on the DVR. Clearly, something's gonna have to go, I just haven't figured out what sucks the most yet.

Sus said...

Woooo Hooo!!!! Another "Lost" addict!!

Boy, what do I watch...or rather....what don't I watch these days. Oh, have I forgotten to mention that I have no life??

Ya gotta remember to record "Threshold" fella cause one of the poor humans infected with alienness is one of the minor short-lived characters from "Lost." Ain't tellin' no more!

"Numbers" is a pretty decent show plus it doesn't help that Krumholtz is a cutie! (oh, have I mentioned I'm a bit boy crazy?).

"Vernica Mars" is defintely worth the viewing, although I haven't been able to figure out what time slot it's been tossed into this fall.

Let's see what else am I vegging my already dead brain on...."CSI: Las Vegas," "Without a Trace" (I'm hot for Martin!), "Medium," "Law & Order: SVU," "Two & a Half Men," "How I Met Your Mother," and only the gods know what the hell else!

Collin said...

I'm without HBO. No "Extras" for me. That makes me sad.

Pat Angello said...

Collin - you are totally missing out!

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pat Angello - sorry!