Wednesday, August 24, 2005

PAT ANGELLO PERFORMANCE UPDATE!


Pat Angello will be performing on Monday, 8/29/05 at the Bug Theatre (off 37th and Navajo - click the map and it will get BIGGER!) for the monthly Freak Train show. The doors open at 7 and the show starts at 8. Other than the fact that I’m DAMN funny, here are 3 more reasons to attend:

1) $5 gets you in and the beer is FREE!

2) Although I am rather freaky, there are 11 other REALLY freaky acts going on there!

3) It’s the 5th Anniversary show and my last performance might be in the highlight reel!

Also, this weekend is great for local music! Check out a few of my favorite Denver bands at two locations:

Scott Julsen Band will be playing at the Art & Ale Festival at the Wildlife Experience in Parker, CO on Friday, 8/26/05 between 6-10. You can also catch them at the Little Bear in Evergreen on Saturday, 8/27/05. Hit their website for more info.

Burning Abigail will be playing at Cricket on the Hill in Denver later (after 9) on Friday, 8/26/05. Check out their website as well for more info.

Heck, you could conceivably go see Julsen for a bit on Friday, and then head over to see Burning Abigail – two great local bands in two locations in one night! However, after that Art & Ale Festival, you might want to take a cab!

So how was Devo you ask? Well, lets take a look at the whole Lost 80’s show:

Dramarama opened up. We were a little late (the show started at 5!) so we missed about half of their set. Also, I’m not very familiar with the band. When they played their hit (“Anything, Anything [I’ll Give You]”), I didn’t really recognize it. However, I still enjoyed them and thought they were pretty good! Grade: B

Missing Persons were next. Real Life was supposed to be next, but they pulled out due to poor ticket sales for their own scheduled US tour. So I was a little nervous about Missing Persons because they only consist of Dale Bozzio (singer) and a bunch of studio musicians. I didn’t think anyone would be able to drum like Terry Bozzio, but they opened with “Mental Hopscotch” (my favorite) and whoever was on the kicks was absolutely incredible! (Drumsticks can be chicken!) Dale needed a song or two to get warmed up, but she sounded great as they played classics like “Words,” “Destination Unknown,” It Ain’t None of Your Business,” “Walking in LA,” and “Windows.” The only drawback to their performance was her odd interludes between songs. I swear, the altitude must have been making her loopy because she was a-ramblin’ and not making much sense. Did you know she lives in New Hampshire and owns 16 cats? Neither did I and I didn’t care to! I was still pleasantly surprised by their show. Grade: A-

A Flock of Seagulls followed, as if their career was better than Missing Persons. Anyway, they were not very good at all. Sure the old stuff like “Space Age Love Song,” “Telecommunication,” “Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You),” and “I Ran” were good, but singer/keyboardist/guitarist Michael Score keeps trying to write music and it’s getting progressively worse! When they went off on a 10-minute song called “Girl in a Hole” I think the entire crowd winced in pain! Grade: C-

English Beat hit the stage next, and they were solid. Sure singer/guitarist Dave Wakeling is the only member left, but they still put on a decent show. Opening with “I Confess,” other fun and upbeat hits like “Mirror in the Bathroom” and “Save it for Later” sounded great. Not quite as good as Missing Persons, but still a great appetizer for Devo. Grade: B+

Ah, Devo. Not much I can say other than they were simply awesome! They opened the show with their typical 30-year-old montage of videos and then hit the stage with “That’s Good.” All band members were dressed alike in yellow jumpsuits and the red flowerpot hats, marching in place to the beat. Those outfits were later shredded (literally) for black shorts, T-shirts, and kneepads. Fortunately, as usual, Mark Mothersbaugh said, “here’s one you might remember” about 5 songs in to their set as they broke into “Whip It.” This sent the boneheads that DARE call this band a one-hit-wonder back to their little homes so the real Devo fans could enjoy the rest of the show. The band stuck to early stuff including “Uncontrollable Urge,” “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” (one of the greatest covers EVER), “Mongoloid,” “Jocko Homo,” “Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA,” “Blockhead,” “Going Under,” “Girl U Want,” “Gates of Steel,” and an encore that included “Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammie,” “Freedom of Choice,” “Wiggly World,” and “Come Back Jonee.” I was hoping to hear anything from New Traditionalists (“Love Without Anger,” “Jerkin’ Back and Forth,” or “Through Being Cool”), but no luck. And I’m still amazed that they don’t play “Beautiful World” in concert. Anyway, they were awesome and strange! My wife looked at me halfway through their set and said, “They’re silly – no wonder you like them so much!” Yeah, they are silly, and I think she even enjoyed them more than she expected to! Grade: A

5 comments:

Bill Purdy said...

Yay! Tardy loves Devo too!

Yay!

Heather said...

It sounds like it was great. I would have gone to see Real Life and then been sooooo disappointed when they weren't there.

Freak Train needs to be on another night - I work Monday nights.

Collin said...

Ahhh Devo. I would have loved to be able to see them. Oh well. If you like silly, you should try to catch the Aquabats the next time they are in Denver. Break a leg at Freak Train! If they ever decide to have it on a Friday night be sure to let us know.

'the Hell? I have to type in a spastic word to comment now? Sheesh. jtedzkji it is then.

Collin said...

Oh yeah, and what did you think of 40 year Old Virgin?

Sus said...

There was a "Lost 80's" concert?? Ah man, I miss all the good stuff living down here in desertland. *sigh*

You should see me trying to explain Soft Cell, Flock of Seagulls, Human League, etc. to my 20-something co-workers. Poor babies, they missed out on so much!!

Everything you ever wanted to know about Pat Angello - sorry!